Of all the bread recipes I have created, gluten and dairy free cinnamon spice zucchini bread is my son’s favorite. When I first perfected this recipe, he was a growing teenager and always hungry. As he headed to the kitchen, I reminded him that oats and zucchini are high in fiber. Thus, I cautioned him to eat no more than two slices. Of course, he consumed too many slices of this delicious cinnamon spice zucchini bread. Later with tears of laughter, he shared that he should have listened to my warning.
In 1996, when my son was a toddler, my neighbor shared the financial benefits of milling grains. Years later, I began to learn more about the nutritional benefits of freshly milled flours. What a journey!
Delicious and Healthy Zucchini Bread
In the fall of 2022, I wrote a series of blogs on improving gut health with nourishing foods: Why Milling Grains Enhance Your Life and Saves Money and 5 Ways to Save Money While Eating Healthier. These posts share simple ways to improve your health that I learned back in the 1990s. Writing them prompted me to dig a little deeper to learn more about today’s foods. What I learned made me say no to non-GMO foods and challenged me to create this new Cinnamon Spice Zucchini Bread.
Christmas Cheer All Year Long
Relief! My son likes this new Cinnamon Spice recipe better than the old one. The old and the new recipes are both delicious. However, their textures are very different.
The new Cinnamon Spice Zucchini Bread recipe has a thin outer layer with a caramelized texture. Yum! One bite took away my craving for donuts. No worry, the extra fiber and protein kept my blood sugar stable. The older recipe used store bought coconut flour, which creates a soft, muffin texture. Make your choice and enjoy baking.
Ingredients for Cinnamon Spice Zucchini Bread
4 organic eggs
2 cups of organic sugar
1 cup of organic olive oil
2 tsp organic salt
1 Tbsp Benefiber (optional-helps regulate blood sugar)
1 Tbsp protein (optional- helps stabilize blood sugar)
3/4 cup of organic amaranth flour (old recipe-coconut flour)
1 TBSP organic cinnamon
2 tsp organic nutmeg
1 tsp organic cloves
1 tsp organic allspice
1/2 tsp organic cardamon
1 1/4 cups of organic millet flour
3 cups of organic oat flour
1/2 cup of filtered, WARM water
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp non-aluminum baking powder
2 cups of shredded organic zucchini (typically from 2 zucchini)
1 cup of chopped organic pecans or walnuts (optional)
Directions for Cinnamon Spice Zucchini Bread
Crack 4 eggs into a small bowl. Before pouring them into the mixing bowl, make sure there are no pieces of broken eggshells. Of course, throw them away and start over if one of the eggs are bad.
With the mixture running, slowly add 2 cups of sugar.
Turn off the mixer and add 1 cup of oil and 2 teaspoons of salt to the batter.
Then, mix until gluten and dairy free batter looks creamy.
If you have unstable blood sugar, you may find it helpful to add 1 Tablespoon of Benefiber and 1 Tablespoon of protein to the zucchini batter.
Now, mix again on low until the batter looks creamy.
Gluten Free Dry Ingredients
Mill one cup of millet, which typically makes 1 & 1/4 cup of millet flour. Pour into the batter and mix on low.
Mill a 1/3 cup of Amaranth grain and a bit extra. Then, pour 3/4 cup of Amaranth flour into a small bowl big enough to hold the spices that you will add next.
Now, add the following: organic ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and cardamon to the bowl.
Mix spices into the gluten free amaranth flour. Then add the spiced flour mixture to the batter. First, gently mix batter on low. If you mix at a higher speed the flour puffs into the air. Once the flour is mostly mixed in, increase the mixing speed until the batter looks creamy.
Mill 1 & 1/2 cups of gluten free oat groats, which typically makes 3 cups of oat flour. Pour into the zucchini batter. Then, stir flour into the zucchini batter.
Add a 1/2 cup of filtered, WARM water and mix.
Then, beat on medium speed until combined. The warm water is very important, because it activates the next two ingredients you will add: baking soda and baking powder.
Add 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the warm gluten free cinnamon spice zucchini batter. Next, use a rubber spatula to stir the ingredients together.
Wash and peel 2-3 zucchinis. Then, grate the zucchini until you have 2 cups. Lastly, pour the grated zucchini into the batter and mix by hand.
I save money by waiting until I am almost done making my recipe before preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Line Loaf Pans
While the oven preheats, line 3 loaf pans with parchment paper. Cover the bottom of the loaf pans with baking parchment paper, so it rises on the sides of the pan for easy turnout once done baking. This also gives the gluten free flours more fully absorb liquids,
Hint: spraying the baking pan helps the parchment paper stick to the sides of the baking pan. Reynolds parchment paper is chlorine free with no bleach.
Bake, Cool, and Enjoy
Pour cinnamon spice zucchini batter into lined loaf pans of any size or shape filling them about 2/3 full.
If the oven has reached 350 degrees, put loaf pans in the oven and set a timer for 45 minutes. Make sure the oven rack is in the middle position.
The gluten and dairy free cinnamon spice zucchini bread is done when it looks brown, cracked, and pulled away from the sides of the loaf pan. Place the pans on a cooling rack and leave them for about five minutes. Then, flip the bread out of the pans onto the cooling rack. Cool for 2 hours.
Gluten and Dairy Free Cinnamon Spice Zucchini Bread
- 1 Mixer
- 4 organic eggs
- 2 cups organic sugar
- 1 cup organic olive oil
- 2 tsp organic salt
- 1 Tbsp Benefiber (optional-helps stabilize blood sugar)
- 1 Tbsp protein (optional-helps stabilize blood sugar)
- 3/4 cup organic amaranth flour (old recipe uses coconut flour)
- 1 Tbsp organic ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp organic ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp organic ground cloves
- 1 tsp organic ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp organic ground cardamon
- 1 ¼ cups organic millet flour
- 3 cups organic oat flour
- 1/2 cup WARM water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 2 cups shredded organic zucchini uses 2-3 zucchinis
- 1 cup chopped organic pecans or walnuts optional
- Crack 4 eggs into a mixing bowl and mix on high until foamy.
- Add 2 cups of sugar and mix again.
- Next add 1 cup of oil and 2 teaspoons of salt. Mix again until it looks creamy.
- If you need help stablizing blood sugar, add 1 Tablespoon of Benefiber and 1 Tablespoon of protein powder. Mix again.
- Mill 1 cup of millet grains into 1 ¼ cup of millet flour. Add it to the mixer.
- Mill a heaping 1/3 cup of amaranth grain to make 3/4 cup of amaranth flour. pour it into a small bowl.
- Next add 1 Tablespoon of ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons of nutmeg, 1 teaspoon of cloves, 1 teaspoon of allspice, and 1/2 teaspoon of cardamon to the small bowl. Stir with a fork to combine the spices and flour.
- Add the flour and spices to the mixing bowl and mix on low till fully combined.
- Mill 1 ½ of oat groats into 3 cups of oat flour. Add the oat flour to the mixing bowl and mix on low until fully combined.
- Now add 1/2 cup of warm water to the bowl and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Add 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Then mix again.
- Finally wash, peel, and grate 2-3 zucchinis to make a total of 2 cups of grated zucchini.
- Stir the zucchini into the batter with a spatula.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line two loaf pans with parchment paper and fill 3/4 of the way with zucchini batter.
- bake for 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pans on a cooling rack before flipping the loaves out of the pans.
Cinnamon Spice Zucchini Bread
Every Christmas, I enjoy surprising a few neighbors and friends with a mini loaf of gluten and dairy free cinnamon spice zucchini bread. What a perfect opportunity to meet a new neighbor and reconnect with a friend.